Discovering LinkedIn's Top 10 In-Demand Hard Skills in 2023
Table of contents
LinkedIn, the world's largest professional network, has released its top 10 in-demand hard skills for 2023. The list is based on a comprehensive analysis of job postings and hiring trends. In a previous article, we also wrote about LinkedIn’s Top 10 In-Demand Skills in 2023.
In this blog post, we'll delve into another LinkedIn's findings. We will discuss the top 10 hard skills that are currently in high demand. As well as what they mean for job seekers and professionals looking to stay ahead of the curve. Employers are increasingly looking for candidates with specific hard skills that can add value to their organization. The top 10 skills are:
1. Software Development
A software developer's skills include the knowledge and abilities to design, develop, test, and maintain software applications. These skills can vary depending on the type of software being developed and the development environment.
Some of the common skills required for software development include:
- Programming languages: proficiency in at least one programming language like Java, Python, C++, or Ruby.
- Database management: familiarity with database management systems like MySQL, Oracle, or MongoDB.
- Version control: proficiency in version control systems like Git or SVN.
- Testing: knowledge of testing frameworks and methodologies like unit testing, integration testing, or acceptance testing.
- Project management: the ability to manage project timelines, resources, and team collaboration.
- Agile methodology: familiarity with Agile methodology and its principles like Scrum or Kanban.
- DevOps: understanding of DevOps practices like Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment.
- Problem-solving: the ability to analyze complex problems and develop effective solutions.
- Communication: the ability to communicate technical concepts to both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
2. Structured Query Language (SQL)
Structured Query Language (SQL) is a widely-used programming language, employed to manage and manipulate data in relational databases. Most Relational Database Management Systems (RDBMS), such as MySQL, Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, PostgreSQL, and SQLite feature this standardized language.
Notable for its straightforward syntax and ease of use, SQL makes complex operations easy to perform with merely a few lines of code. It is an invaluable expertise for developers and data analysts when dealing with databases where they need to access, arrange and retrieve data from them.
SQL is used to perform a variety of database-related tasks, such as:
- Creating and modifying database schemas (tables, columns, indexes, constraints)
- Inserting, updating, and deleting data from tables
- Retrieving data from tables using queries and filters
- Sorting and grouping data to create summaries and reports
- Creating views, stored procedures, and triggers for automation and custom functionality
Financial skills are essential for organizations of all sizes, from managing budgets to analyzing market trends. As we move further into the 21st century, the need for strong financial skills is only going to become more pronounced.
With the rise of automation and the ever-changing landscape of the global economy, those who can navigate these waters will be in high demand. Some of the most important financial skills to develop are:
- Investment analysis: The ability to understand and critique investment opportunities is critical in today's climate
- Financial modeling: Developing detailed models of financial scenarios is a helpful way to make sound investment decisions
- Risk management: Managing risk is essential to preserving capital and ensuring profitability
- Financial planning: Having a solid plan in place is essential to achieving financial goals
Python is an increasingly popular programming language that is used for a variety of tasks, from web development, and artificial intelligence to data analysis. Having Python skills means being able to write, debug, and maintain code in Python, as well as using its libraries and frameworks effectively.
Python has a simple and easy-to-learn syntax, making it a good language for beginners, but it also has a lot of advanced features that make it a versatile tool for experienced programmers.
Python skills are highly sought after in many industries, including tech, finance, healthcare, and more, due to their versatility and ease of use.
Java is one of the most popular programming languages in the world. Java is a popular high-level programming language that is used for a wide range of applications such as web development, mobile app development, desktop applications, and more.
Java is an object-oriented language, which means it organizes code into reusable components called objects, making it easier to build complex applications.
Java skills are highly sought after in many industries, including tech, finance, and healthcare, among others, due to their portability, scalability, and reliability. Many popular enterprise applications and systems, such as banking software and e-commerce websites, are built using Java, making it a valuable skill for developers.
6. Data Analysis
Data analysis skill refers to the ability to collect, process, and analyze large sets of data and draw meaningful insights from them. Data analysis is essential to support data-driven decision-making.
Data analysis involves a wide range of techniques, including data visualization, statistical modeling, data mining, machine learning, and more. Data analysts use these techniques to identify patterns, trends, and relationships within the data and draw conclusions that can be used to improve business processes, drive revenue growth, and enhance customer experiences.
To be skilled in data analysis, one needs to have a strong foundation in the:
- Familiarity with various data analysis tools such as Excel, R, Python, SAS, and SQL
Data analysis skills are highly valued across industries, including finance, healthcare, marketing, and more.
- Knowledge of HTML and CSS
- Understanding of programming concepts such as variables, loops, functions, and arrays,
- Understanding of modern web development tools and practices
8. Cloud Computing
Cloud computing is a technology that enables businesses to store and access data remotely using shared computing resources. Cloud computing skill refers to the ability to design, deploy, manage, and maintain cloud-based infrastructure, services, and applications. Cloud computing involves the delivery of on-demand computing resources, including servers, storage, databases, software, and networking, over the internet.
To have cloud computing skills, one needs to be familiar with the various cloud computing models, including:
- Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS)
- Platform as a Service (PaaS)
- Software as a Service (SaaS)
They should also have knowledge of cloud-based technologies such as:
- Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Microsoft Azure
- Google Cloud
- IBM Cloud
Skills required for cloud computing include:
- Understanding cloud architecture
- Designing cloud solutions
- Configuring and deploying cloud resources
- Monitoring and optimizing cloud-based systems
- Understanding security and compliance requirements in the cloud
Cloud computing is a rapidly growing field, and businesses are increasingly adopting cloud-based solutions to improve scalability, reduce costs, and increase agility.
Operation skill refers to the ability to efficiently manage and optimize complex systems, processes, and workflows to achieve organizational goals. Operations involve the day-to-day management of business processes, including production, inventory management, supply chain management, logistics, and customer service.
To have operation skills, one needs to understand how to plan, organize, and coordinate activities to ensure the efficient and effective execution of business operations. They should also be able to analyze and optimize business processes, identify bottlenecks and inefficiencies, and develop strategies to improve productivity and profitability.
Operation skill requires proficiency in:
- Project management
- Process improvement methodologies
- Data analysis
- Familiarity with various tools and technologies used in operations, such as enterprise resource planning (ERP) software, supply chain management software, and quality management software
Operations are critical to the success of any business, and organizations are constantly seeking professionals with operation skills to help them optimize their processes and increase efficiency.
10. Customer Relationship Management (CRM)
Customer relationship management (CRM) is a process used to manage customer relationships and interactions to improve customer satisfaction. Customer Relationship Management (CRM) skill refers to the ability to manage customer interactions and relationships effectively to improve customer satisfaction, loyalty, and retention.
CRM involves the use of technology and processes to collect, analyze, and manage customer data and interactions across multiple channels, including phone, email, social media, and in-person interactions.
To have CRM skills, one needs to have a deep understanding of customer behavior and preferences, as well as the ability to use CRM software effectively. They should be able to analyze customer data to identify patterns and trends, develop targeted marketing campaigns and customer retention strategies, and manage customer complaints and issues.
CRM skill requires proficiency in:
- Data analysis
- Customer service
- Familiarity with various CRM software platforms, such as Salesforce, HubSpot, and Zoho CRM
With CRM skills, you can work in various roles such as customer service manager, sales manager, marketing manager, and customer experience manager.
If you're looking to give your career a boost in the coming year, make sure you brush up on these in-demand skills and highlight them prominently on your LinkedIn profile. With the right skill set, you will be well on your way to landing your dream job in 2023.
To start your dream search, you can utilize our AI job finder for free. We will recommend a list of available job opportunities relevant to your skills & experiences. Find your dream job with us!