Thank You Email Templates to Send After an Interview
Table of Contents
- What is a Thank You Email After Interview?
- When is the Best Time to Send a Thank You Email After Interview?
- The Benefits of Sending Thank You Email After Interview
- What to Include in a Thank You Email After Interview
- What to Avoid in a Thank You Email After Interview
- Format of a Thank You Email After Interview
- Example Thank You Email After Interview
- Free Template Thank You Email for You [Download]
You've done your best to impress the recruiters in interview, but now you're left wondering what you can do to make sure you stand out in a competitive job market. Well, we've got some good news: a simple thank you email after interview can make all the difference!
In this article, we'll explain what a thank you email is and why it's so important to send one after your interview. We'll also provide tips on when to send the email, how to write a powerful message, and even share a free thank you email template that you can use for your next interview.
What is a Thank You Email After Interview?
A thank you email after an interview is a message sent to the interviewer(s) to express gratitude for the opportunity to interview and to reiterate your interest in the position. It is a chance to leave a positive impression and stand out from other candidates. Sending a thank you email can also show your professionalism and that you value the interviewer’s time.
When is the Best Time to Send a Thank You Email After Interview?
It is best to send a thank you email within 24 hours of the interview. This shows that you are prompt, organized, and interested in the position. Sending a thank you email too long after the interview can make you seem disinterested or forgetful.
The Benefits of Sending Thank You Email After Interview
One study found that 80% percent of HR managers take thank you messages into account when deciding who to hire, yet only one out of every four applicants sent a thank you email after an interview. Therefore, a thank you note serves as a reminder of your candidacy and helps you stay fresh in their memory.
Sending a thank you email after an interview is an opportunity to:
- Reiterate your interest in the position
- Stand out from other candidates
- Thank the interviewer(s) for their time
- Address any questions or concerns that may have arisen during the interview
A thank you email can also serve as a way to provide additional information that you may have forgotten to mention during the interview or to clarify any points that were discussed.
What to Include in a Thank You Email After Interview
Make sure the subject line is clear and specific, telling that this is a thank-you email for the interview. For instance, "Thank You - [Position Name] Interview".
1. Address the interviewer by name
Use the interviewer's name in your greeting. Make sure that you are spelling it correctly. If you're interviewing with multiple people, it's a good idea to send a personalized email to each individual.
2. Express appreciation
Show your gratitude for the opportunity to interview for the position. Use sincere language and make it clear that you appreciate the time and effort the interviewer spent with you.
3. Mention something specific from the interview
This could be a project the company is working on, a challenge they're facing, or something the interviewer said that resonated with you. By referencing something specific, you show that you were engaged during the interview and that you've given it further thought.
4. Reiterate your interest
Use the email to express your interest in the job and the company once more. Mention your excitement for the opportunity and how you could contribute to the company. Remember to keep the email concise and professional.
5. Restate your qualifications
Use the email to reiterate your qualifications and how they align with the position requirements. This is a good opportunity to remind the interviewer of your relevant skills and experiences.
6. A genuine thank you
Close with a final thank you and an offer to provide additional information if needed. End the email with a polite and professional sign-off, such as "Sincerely" or "Best regards."
What to Avoid in a Thank You Email After Interview
Your thank you email should be professional and concise. Avoid:
- Spelling or grammatical errors
- Rambling or irrelevant information
- Negativity or criticism
- Mentioning salary or benefits (unless the interviewer brings it up)
Remember, the thank you email is not the place to negotiate salary or benefits. Keep your email focused on expressing your interest in the position and company.
Format of a Thank You Email After Interview
Your thank you email should follow a professional format. It should include:
- A clear subject line (e.g. "Thank You - [Position Title]")
- A salutation (e.g. "Dear [Interviewer Name],")
- An introduction expressing gratitude and reiterating your interest in the position and the company
- A brief summary of any topics discussed during the interview that you found particularly interesting or relevant
- Any additional information or follow-up questions you may have
- A closing expressing appreciation and willingness to provide additional information if needed
- A professional signature (e.g. "Sincerely, [Your Name]")
Example Thank You Email After Interview
Dear [Interviewer Name],
Thank you for taking the time to speak with me today about the [Position Title] role at [Company Name]. I really appreciate the opportunity to learn more about the position and the company.
I was particularly interested in our discussion about [Topic Discussed]. It was great to hear about [Interesting Information Shared]. I also appreciated the chance to learn more about [Additional Topic Discussed].
Please let me know if you need any additional information from me or if you have any follow-up questions. I would be happy to provide whatever you need.
Thank you again for your time and consideration. I look forward to the opportunity to continue our conversation.
Free Template Thank You Email for You [Download]
We have created free thank you email after-interview templates that you can download and customize to fit your needs. By downloading these resources, you'll have a powerful tool at your fingertips to help you increase your chances of landing job.
Sending a thank you email after an interview is a simple but effective way to leave a positive impression on the interviewer and stand out from other candidates. Make sure to follow the tips outlined above to craft a professional and effective thank you email that will leave a lasting impression.